Managing Dog and Cat Allergies
Treating pets with allergies is a regular occurrence at Temperance Animal Hospital. Dog allergies are especially common and can range from food-related to seasonal allergies. Managing allergies in dogs and cats can be challenging since in addition to treating the symptoms, we also need to find and treat the underlying cause. Fortunately, there are options available that our team can provide so your pet can return to a normal, happy life.
Common Allergy Symptoms
Your pet could have allergies if they are showing any of these symptoms:
- Scratching continuously (indicates itching)
- Licking and chewing at paws
- Runny eyes and nose
- Vomiting/diarrhea (might indicate a food allergy)
- Yeast infection of the ears
- Hot spots
- Missing patches of fur
- Areas of skin that look red and raw
Temperance Animal Hospital offers innovative allergy treatment options that alleviate itching and help the skin heal. These include:
- Apoquel – an oral anti-itch medication
- Cytopoint – often used to treat atopic dermatitis, Cytopoint is an injection that offers long-lasting anti-itch effects for dogs
We also carry other oral medications, topicals, supplements, and hydrolyzed diets.
Why Seek Treatment Right Away?
Allergies create a vicious cycle of itching, scratching, and eventual skin infection if not treated at an early stage. Untreated, allergies can spiral out of control and be even more frustrating to manage. Regardless, you do have options, and solving your pet’s problem begins with a call. Talk to us at (734) 847-6751 as soon as possible so we can help your pet find relief!